Welcoming the participants of the plenary session, Elbassy stressed that the "Astana club" took its unique niche in the system of international dialogue platforms, becoming a reputable and significant forum.
- The growing internal transport connectivity of the Eurasian megacontinent opens unprecedented opportunities for joint development in the history of humanity. We need an open and honest dialogue that will allow us to bypass the existing risks and open new prospects for cooperation in "Greater Eurasia", Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
Noting the trend of large-scale recurrence of conflicts and geopolitical confrontations around the world, the First President of Kazakhstan spoke about his vision of the key risks that negatively affect the geopolitical situation in Eurasia.
- We are concerned about the situation in the world economy, which is increasingly showing signs of impending crisis. Against the backdrop of growing trade contradictions and geopolitical instability in the world, global institutions give disappointing forecasts. The slowdown in global growth is having a negative impact on global trade. All these factors undermine global stability, the President said.
In addition, Nursultan Nazarbayev focused on the problem of sanctions and trade wars between world powers.
- The confrontation between the leading powers is automatically transferred to many hot spots of Eurasia, complicating the already difficult process of peaceful settlement of the crises in Syria and Ukraine. In addition, Brexit has become a key anti-integration event of recent times, said the First President of Kazakhstan.
Elbassy also stressed the threats associated with the process of uncontrolled militarization throughout Eurasia and the shift of confrontation of the world's leading states in the sphere of technology.
- Rising tensions between the United States and China have already disrupted global technology chains, destabilizing the global high-tech market. The development of artificial intelligence, which carries both huge opportunities and huge challenges, is gaining momentum, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
In addition, the First President of Kazakhstan emphasized the situation in the Middle East, which in turn plays an important role in ensuring global energy security.
In order to reset the security system in Eurasia and develop its qualitatively new vision, Elbassy proposed a number of practical measures aimed at defining new "rules of the game" in Greater Eurasia.
- It is necessary to critically rethink the main approaches in the formation of continental security architecture. 2020 marks 10 years since the adoption of the OSCE Astana Declaration, which highlighted the importance of forming a single community of Euro-Atlantic and Eurasian security. These issues can be effectively solved by combining the potentials of the Conference on interaction and confidence-building measures in Asia and the Organization for security and cooperation in Europe, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The First President of Kazakhstan also initiated the creation of the Global Alliance of leaders for a nuclear-free world, which should become an authoritative global platform for promoting the agenda of nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation.
- We have repeatedly talked about the need to stop the erosion of existing agreements on nuclear disarmament. In the run-up to the review conference of the Treaty on the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons next year, we should again think about the need to universalize the main provisions of this document. I believe that it is necessary to tighten measures of international responsibility for withdrawing from the Treaty, reinforcing them with relevant resolutions at the UN Security Council level, said Elbassy.
At the same time, Nursultan Nazarbayev spoke about the need to develop effective security guarantees for North Korea from all members of the UN Security Council and the formation of a Catalogue of confidence-building measures between Pyongyang and Seoul aimed at stabilizing the situation on the Korean Peninsula.
- I see the future of Eurasia in building a single community, the pillar of which should be a systemic economic dialogue between the key integration associations of the continent. Pragmatic cooperation between the Eurasian Economic Union, the European Union, the SCO, ASEAN, and the Belt and Road Initiative will give a powerful impetus to the formation of a "Greater Eurasia", stabilizing the entire political space of the world's largest continent. I find the situation when a full-fledged dialogue between the EU and the Eurasian Economic Union has not been built to this day absolutely unacceptable, the First President of Kazakhstan said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev noted that as the Honorary Chairman of the Supreme Eurasian Economic Council, he is ready to provide comprehensive support for the implementation of the EU - EAEU partnership dialogue mechanism.
- In the present conditions, all countries of the continent should not be confined within narrow regionalism and block thinking, but think in broader "Eurasian categories". Only then, we will be able to realize the huge potential that the Eurasian "supercontinent" has. And I am pleased to note that our Club is the ideological platform of a new geopolitical structure called "Greater Eurasia", said Elbassy.
In conclusion, the First President of Kazakhstan expressed confidence that the existing level of mutual benefit will overcome all difficulties and ensure the prosperous development of Eurasia.